Pages

March 12, 2012

"Fresh" Homemade Salsa

I am almost always disappointed with store bought salsa, even some of the freshly made ones found in the refrigerated section so I was excited to try this recipe. Well...I was not disappointed. By using a mixture of canned tomatoes and fresh ingredients such as onions, garlic and cilantro you really end up with something that tastes fresh and homemade (or like the stuff served at your favorite Mexican restaurant). It is also a bargain as it makes about 4 cups for less than $3 and with the way we go through salsa in my house that is important. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. 

1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I recommend using fire-roasted tomatoes)
1- 10 oz can original Rotel (really any Rotel will work, why not mix it up for different flavors?!)
1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2-1 jalapeno, seeded 
1 teaspoon honey (more is not better here as it tames the heat and mellows the rest of the flavors)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1-2 handfuls of cilantro (I love cilantro so I used 2 handfuls)
juice of 1 lime

Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine until all the ingredients are finely chopped (15-30 seconds) and your desired consistency is reached. Do not over-blend; you'll end up with something more like gazpacho than salsa.  Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. 

Adapted from "Easy Blender Salsa" at MountainMamaCooks.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment